Developed right for the 20th anniversary of Colin McRae Rally 3, SilentPatch delivers more than just a set of fixes – with full widescreen support, numerous compatibility fixes, new technical features, Quality of Life improvements, and a scratch-made high definition UI optimized for 4K displays, it brings an experience comparable to an unofficial remaster of this classic 2002 rally game.
Fixes marked with can be configured/toggled via the INI file. The other new options have been added to in-game menus instead.
- The game now lists all available display resolutions, lifting the limit of 128 resolutions and the 4:3 aspect ratio constraint.
- The game will now try to pick the closest matching resolution instead of crashing on startup if launched with an invalid resolution specified in the config.
- The game now defaults to desktop resolution on the first boot.
- Several issues related to the sun rendering have been fixed - sun flickering with anti-aliasing enabled has been fixed, and a consistent hitch when the sun was about to appear on screen was resolved.
- Fixed multiple distinct issues causing water reflections to appear either too dark or completely black.
- Fixed car shadows appearing overly sharp, or not appearing at all when anti-aliasing is enabled.
- Fixed a crash when switching between display adapters with different numbers of resolutions, and made the resolutions list automatically refresh when switching adapters, eliminating a possible crash.
- The game now handles arbitrary aspect ratios correctly - with all 3D elements and the entire UI fixed for widescreen and positioning dynamically.
- Fixed a possible out of bounds read when the supplied translation file did not contain all the strings the game needs (for example, when using the PL executable with EN data).
- Improved the overall precision of in-game timers.
- Fixed an issue where split-screen would not work correctly on modern PCs with fast enough CPUs unless the game was forced to use a single CPU core.
- Environment maps on cars now always reflect the sky, like on the PS2; making reflections look more natural and correcting an issue where the big TV screens displayed a grey sky.
- Line rendering now respects the display resolution, making line thickness proportional to resolution and improving their visibility.
- Half pixel issues have been corrected across the UI, improving the overall clarity of the interface, and fixing numerous issues where fullscreen backgrounds would leave a single pixel-wide line (or a seam in the middle) with multisampling enabled.
- Improved the visual consistency of numerous race UI elements.
- Improved the visual consistency of the digital tachometer by using a scissor feature for rendering, improving its accuracy and resolving a possible flicker.
- Support for texture replacements and new fonts has been improved - the game can now handle higher resolution assets without glitching.
- UI elements and fonts with sharp pixels now use nearest neighbor filtering instead of linear filtering for improved clarity.
- Improved the presentation of line boxes used e.g. in the onscreen keyboard and Car Setup, fixing gaps, overlapping lines, and misplaced fill.
- Legend lines on the Telemetry screen now fade out together with the rest of the menu.
- Fixed numerous spacing inconsistencies in menu texts.
- Fixed a broken split-screen Time Trial results screen (Czech executable only).
- Fixed “Player X has retired” texts going off the screen at resolutions above 640x480.
- Fixed an issue where the resolution change countdown went into negatives when fading out.
- Fixed an issue on wider aspect ratios where repeated menu entries would not fade correctly.
- Fixed an issue only showing in the Polish release where leaving the ‘Co-driver’s voice’ screen would flicker the menu animations.
- Alt+F4 now works.
- Removed a debug feature where invalid codepoints flickered randomly.
- The error message displayed when the game fails to load specific game files now doesn’t freeze the game and can be closed with Alt+F4.
- The game is now fully portable, as the settings have been redirected from the registry to the INI file.
- Car shadows are now slightly sharper, matching the way they are rendered in Colin McRae Rally 2005.
- Menu navigation on the gamepad has been remapped from the analog stick to the directional pad like it is in the console releases.
- New Graphics options added: Field of View (separate for external and internal cameras), Digital Tachometer, Vertical Split-screen.
- New Advanced Graphics options added: Windowed/borderless mode (fully resizable), Vertical Sync, Refresh Rate, Anisotropic Filtering.
- Changed the Bonus Codes URL to point towards a cheat generator hosted by myself since the original URLs are not active anymore.
- Added support for all official text translations used together - English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, and Czech.
- Added support for all official co-drivers together - English, French, German, Spanish, Polish (Janusz Kulig), Polish (Janusz Wituch), and Czech.
- Re-added support for Nicky Grist’s pace notes in the Polish re-release.
- Revised some capitalization inconsistencies in all languages.
- Revised Italian translation.
- Included translation lines for all new menu options added by SilentPatch.
HD UI - by Bekoha:
- Made with 4K resolution in mind.
- Font atlases remade using original fonts.
- Support for EFIGS, Polish and Czech languages.
- Banners redrawn for every stage.
- Majority of in-game UI elements replaced.
- Bekoha for the entirety of the HD UI work and general support
- LoStraniero91 for improving the entire Italian translation
- AuToMaNiAk005 for his past efforts in fixing CMR3 for widescreen resolutions
- Pierre Terdiman for a Textured Lines In D3D code snippet
- Various people contributing new translation lines in German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Czech
- abbydiode and Cpone for additional testing
- Several ex-CMR3 developers who are aware of this project and were able to share their feedback 🙂
Setting up the game & SilentPatch
Please follow the following instructions in order:
- Prepare your game executable for compatibility with SilentPatch:
- Make sure that you have an official 1.1 patch installed beforehand. If needed, you can download it from PCGamingWiki. You need to re-apply this patch to your game if you’ve used an unofficial no-CD executable. DRM-free releases are already pre-patched.
- Download the
DRM-free Patcher, extract it to the game directory and run
setup.batto patch your game executable to DRM-free. Follow the on-screen instructions.
SilentPatchand extract it to the game directory. Overwrite files if prompted.
- (Optional) Download the
Language Packand extract it to the game directory. Overwrite files if prompted.
- (Optional, Polish 2 CD release only) Download the
Nicky Grist Packand extract it to the game directory. This is needed ONLY for the Polish 2 CD release, all the other versions include those files already!
- (Optional, but strongly recommended) Download
HD UI (by Bekoha)and extract it to the game directory. Overwrite files if prompted.